Rock Painting Tips
- You can buy rocks from garden nurseries, river rocks are best
- Rocks should be clean and free of sand. Wash in warm, soapy water if needed.
- If you want to leave part of the rock exposed, paint on a thin layer or acrylic varnish which will soak into the rock and bring out the colour
- If the rock has a rough surface, give it an undercoat of acrylic gel medium
- To bring out the best in your paint colours, first undercoat the area with 2 to 3 layers of white acrylic paint
- Stick labels on the back of rocks with gel medium then give 2 to 3 coats of acrylic varnish
- To seal rocks, either give 2 or 3 coats of acrylic varnish or 3 to 4 coats of spray varnish